Sunday, June 28, 2015

2ND Grade Curriculum 2015 and 2016

This year is the first year for us to teach the Squirrel at home and scouring the Web is my new moonlighting job. So, without further ado.... 

 I plan to work ELA from Explode the Code books 3, 3 1/2, 4 and 4 1/2. I also ordered the teacher guide just to ensure I know the drill with these.  After receiving them, they look fairly self-explanatory.

Story Elements and Spectrum Reading workbooks will accentuate other elements not covered in the code books.

Not pictured is Handwriting Without Tears printing book to improve her current writing abilities. Squirrel wants to learn cursive, but we agreed to improve the printing first, so that is the current summer project. This is a great book and curriculum for teaching writing.

I've ordered a variety of chapter books, such as Pippi Longstocking and The Boxcar Children, as well as utilizing the library for more books and classic literature.



For History, we are starting with A Story of the World I, book and workbook. For science, Squirell's favorite subject, Exploring Creation with Flying Animals of the Fifth Day. This one is impressive and I'm loving the reading as much as the workbook.

Mathematics is Life of Fred, the first two volumes. I plan to provide worksheets and handwritten problems for her based on the chapter. I like it, but I'm not sure it's for us yet. I'll let the Squirrel lead the way.  My 2nd choice was Teaching Textbooks. I definitely want that program for next year.

For art, I am going to teach some chalk pastel art, from Southern Hodgepodge. This looks like lots of fun for us and her.  This as well as other artsy projects that tie in with the other subjects.

Trying to stay basic, make it fun, and avoid going overboard! Let the fun begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment